I woke up this Saturday morning thinking about fritters. Hmm, lovely warm fritters, the perfect weekend breakfast. Quick and easy to make, filling and delicious with a cup of tea as you relax into your weekend. Yum! Just what I needed. These are suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets.
Fritters Caribbean style tend to have a bit of a kick with the addition of Scotch Bonnet pepper. For children and family who prefer less heat you can use less or remove and just go with the sweet pepper instead. Enjoy!
Wonderful Jamaican Vegan Fritters
- 1/2 x Sweet Pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried or fresh)
- Large pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt (sea salt)
- 1 x cup of Water
- 6 x Spring Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 Scotch Bonnet Pepper deseeded and finely chopped (or use Bird Pepper as alternative)
- 3/4 cup Sweet Corn
- 1 1/3 cups Flour (standard white flour is traditional try Buckwheat instead as a gluten free alternative)
- 1 x Tbsp Coconut Oil for frying
- Chop peppers and onions.
- In a bowl place peppers, onions, salt, pepper, thyme, sweetcorn, flour.
- Gradually add the water to make a smooth batter mixture.
- Heat coconut oil (or oil or vegetable oil of choice) in a large frying pan. Place scoops of batter into the pan. Cook until brown on one side, turn over and continue cooking until done.
Try serving with Avocado and garnishing with coriander. Have a cuppa and enjoy. Like this recipe? Share your stories and pics on Instagram quoting @LorraineGardens. Try other warm breakfast ideas for this chilly season like Naturally Sweetened Cornmeal Porridge. Love avocado? Try Chocomole Enjoy!